Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2024 10:18:10 +0200
From: Christoffer Sandberg <cs@...edo.de>
To: Jerry Luo <jerryluo225@...il.com>
Cc: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>, christian@...sel.eu,
 linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-sound@...r.kernel.org, perex@...ex.cz,
 regressions@...ts.linux.dev, wse@...edocomputers.com
Subject: Re: [REGRESSION][BISECTED] Audio volume issues since 4178d78cd7a8

On 2.10.2024 23:28, Jerry Luo wrote:
> On 10/2/24 10:00 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Oct 2024 10:21:22 +0200,
>> Christoffer Sandberg wrote:

>>> I attached alsa-info from the Sirius Gen2 device.
>>>
>>> Comparing the working/nonworking of Jerry, yeah, the assignment of
>>> 0x10 and 0x11 looks switched around. I don't see what difference this
>>> would make. Also, node 0x22 has "bass speaker" controls in the
>>> non-working version.
>>>
>>> Comparing the Sirius Gen2 alsa-info with Jerrys, to me it looks like
>>> the non-working version corresponds to our working version.
>>>
>>> I would expect the non-working version to happen all the time though
>>> with regards to the "bass speaker" controls. Why would this only
>>> happen sometimes?
>> Thanks!  The assignment of DACs depend on the pins and topology, so it
>> can be a bit sensitive.
>>
>> Now looking more closely at both outputs, I wonder how the commit
>> breaks pang14.  Maybe it has a PCI SSID 2782:12c5 (or 12c3) while the
>> codec SSID is 2782:12b3?  If so, the patch below should fix.

Interesting, you're right, PCI SSID c3/c5 and codec SSID c3/c5 for the
Siriuses.

I had a look around. In patch_realtek there are some cases where codec
SSID match is needed as well. Would it be better/safer to directly do
this immediately or keep it as an exception where it breaks or for known
sensitive models/brands?

>> Could you guys try it and verify whether it fixes for Pangolin and
>> doesn't break Sirius?
>>

>> Takashi
>>
> It does seems to fix the issue on Pangolin. It might worth mention
> that the headphone output will have the same issue when the speaker is
> not working. Now they are all good. Thanks!
>

> Jerry

Tested on our devices, both speakers still active.

That's an ok from my side as well, thanks!

Christoffer