Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2024 21:24:06 -0700
From: John Johansen <john.johansen@...onical.com>
To: "Dr. Greg" <greg@...ellic.com>
Cc: Tetsuo Handa <penguin-kernel@...ove.SAKURA.ne.jp>,
 Paul Moore <paul@...l-moore.com>,
 Jonathan Corbet <corbet@....net>, LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
 linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] tomoyo update for v6.12

On 10/3/24 08:39, Dr. Greg wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 02, 2024 at 10:35:27PM -0700, John Johansen wrote:
>
> Good morning, I hope the day is going well for everyone.

>>> The reason Fedora cannot enable TOMOYO is lack of bandwidth.
>
>> which is sadly a very valid argument. Coming from the distro side of
>> things it is a very real problem. I tend to advocate for giving the
>> user choice where we can but there is more than one occasion where
>> Ubuntu has had to declare bug bankruptcy on outstanding kernel bugs
>> because the backlog was impossible to handle.
>
> Understand the concept of lack of bandwidth.
>
> Had a 40 hour week in as of 0800 yesterday morning and the end of the
> week isn't even remotely in sight.

yeah I know that one all too well, I hit 40 hours some time Wednesday
morning.

> [...]
>> the ability to load out of tree code that isn't signed is going to
>> force Ubuntu to do the same and disable it. I really don't want to
>> do that, I would rather leave the choice available to our users.
>>
>> It may be a trade-off worth making for you/Tomoyo if it fixed your
>> problem with RHEL/Fedora but I don't see it fixing that problem
>> either.
>
> Not much bandwidth for the rest of the day but I wanted to get this
> question/issue out to get some feedback for later tonight,
> particularly from your perspective John.
>
> We saw these issues coming about four years ago, which is why we
> decided to take a deep breath and bring TSEM out of private use to a
> wider audience, it isn't a 'pet project' as it has been referred to.
> Not sure we would do that again but that is an issue for another day.
>
> TSEM is based on the notion of having a generic modeling architecture
> for the LSM.  I know that Casey bristles at the notion of us saying
> 'model', but we can prosecute that argument in intimate detail at
> another time.
>
> We would best characterize TSEM as a 'swiss army knife' for
> interpreting kernel security events.  You can run the event
> interpretation in the kernel, in userspace, in a hardware device or up
> in the cloud.
>
> After watching Tetsuo's concerns over the last year we dropped the
> loadable module support into TSEM for the V4 release:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-security-module/20240826103728.3378-1-greg@enjellic.com/T/#t
>
> This offers the ability to run the interpretation model via code
> implemented in a loadable module.  BPF is also an option but we are
> keeping things simple at this point.
>
> So we use the standard loadable module architecture.  We offer the
> ability to lock further model loads or unloads after a set of models
> have been loaded and the option to completely disable any loadable
> models at boot, independent of the general kernel loadable module
> state.
>
> It doesn't fully fix Tetsuo's problem, given that a distribution could
> compile out TSEM, just like it compiles out Tomoyo, I think we all
> agree there is no fix to that problem.  However, if the security bigs
> like CrowdStrike, PaloAlto and others, understand that it allows EDR
> telemetry and surveillance to be implemented on Linux without having
> to install a high privilege or kernel based agent, it makes not having
> it in the kernel less attractive.
>
> Just for the sake of advancing these conversations, we are throwing
> some bandwidth into implementing Tomoyo as a TSEM loadable module to
> get some further insight on the tractability of something like this.
>
> With your distributor hat on does an architecture like this offend
> your security sensibilities?
>
> Like it or agree with it, we seem to be standing at a reasonably
> important inflection point for Linux, conversations probably suitable

honestly it worries me, but that is more a vague general worry about
any generic architecture that you can build on top of. Take BPF, it
has a whole host of issues, that make it very challenging, like
spectre gadgets, and getting its verifier correct for everything.
There is a lot of complexity there making it a challenge to evaluate.

I really need to dig into the details of TSEM before I can give a better
response.