Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2024 14:53:25 +0200
From: Benjamin Tissoires <bentiss@...nel.org>
To: Christian Heusel <christian@...sel.eu>
Cc: Tatsunosuke Tobita <tatsunosuke.tobita@...om.com>,
	Ping Cheng <ping.cheng@...om.com>, regressions@...ts.linux.dev, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Daniel Jutz <daniel@...tz.com>, Jason Gerecke <jason.gerecke@...om.com>,
	linux-input@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [REGRESSION][BISECTED] YOGA 7 pencil only show up as eraser
 since 9c2913b962da

On Oct 08 2024, Christian Heusel wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Daniel (in CC) as well as the Arch forum user "ls" report a regression
> with the pen of their Yoga 7 2-in-1 14AHP9 Laptop that leads to it being
> always recognized as an eraser:
>
>     $ libinput debug-tablet
>     Tool: eraser serial 0x80e51447, id 0x219
>
>     $ evtest /dev/input/event6
>     type 1 (EV_KEY), code 321 (BTN_TOOL_RUBBER), value 0
>
> While the expected output with a previous kernel version (6.10.y stable
> series) is the following:
>
>     $ libinput debug-tablet
>     Tool: pen serial 0x80e51447, id 0x219
>
>     $ evtest /dev/input/event6
>     type 1 (EV_KEY), code 320 (BTN_TOOL_PEN), value 0
>
> We have bisected the issue together in the mainline tree and found that
> the following commit has introduced this behaviour:
>
>     9c2913b962da ("HID: wacom: more appropriate tool type categorization")
>
> If any more debug information is needed or there are preliminary patches
> to test we're happy to help!
> If there is a fix found for this issue it would be nice if you could
> credit us as follows:
>
> Reported-by: Daniel Jutz <daniel@...tz.com>
> Bisected-by: Christian Heusel <christian@...sel.eu>

Good catch. This was already reported as:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/-/issues/1041
and:
https://github.com/linuxwacom/input-wacom/issues/440

Jason got the same bisect result, and should be posting the patch soon.

Jason, please tag the patch with the appropriate Reported-by,
bisected-by and the various links.

Cheers,
Benjamin