Date:	Wed, 03 Jan 2007 17:39:37 -0500 (EST)
From:	rbj2@...t.edu
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	rbj2@...t.edu
Subject: Question regarding RED + ECN working

Hello,

I have been trying to get RED with ECN working on 2.6.x kernel for a few weeks
now without any positive results. My setup is as follows

A 2.6.15 kernel running on a linux box configured as a router. I used the
following command to add/replace the existing default qdisc of the NIC

tc qdisc replace dev eth3 root red limit 7000 min 1600 max 3500 avpkt 1000 burst
3 probability 0.5 bandwidth 512 ecn

I am able to verify with "tc -s -d qdisc" that the RED qdisc does get attached
to my outgoing interface, eth3. With such low values, I was expecting a lot of
packets being marked ECN style i.e. ip.ce = 1. However, the statistics show no
packet being marked or dropped. I inserted printk statements in sch_red.c to
print the computed average queue length and the backlog. Both parameters are 0
for the entire flow.

This makes me wonder whether there is something wrong that I have been doing
(most likely) or is there something wrong in the code. Any advice/help will be
very helpfull. Please CC me in replies as I am not subscribed to the mailing
list.

Thanks,
Rahul.