Date:	Mon, 08 Jan 2007 09:08:08 -0800
From:	Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Question on advanced routing and/or virtual routers.

Hello!

I am curious if a single machine can be made to look like several
routers.  Please consider the following
configuration:

Linux Router-A has 4 ethernet interfaces.  PC-A is connected to eth0 and
has IP 192.168.0.2.
eth0 on Router-A has IP 192.168.0.1/24
eth1 has IP 192.168.1.1/24, and eth1 is connected directly to eth2
eth2 has IP 192.168.2.1/24
eth3 is connected 'upstream' and has IP 192.168.3.1/24

I would like for PC-A to be able to ping 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 as
normal.
The part I'm not sure how to make work is that I want to be able to ping
192.168.2.1 and
have the packet route out of eth1 and into eth2 (PC-A -> eth0 -> eth1 ->
eth2), and have the return packet follow the
eth2 -> eth1 -> eth0 -> PC-A path.  A trace-route from PC-A should show
each of these hops (or, at least eth0 and eth2.)

The eventual goal is to have arbitrary numbers of 'routers' in a single
Linux machine for emulation
purposes.

I was thinking that I might could accomplish this using multiple routing
tables and perhaps
specific subnet routes for each each virtual router, specifying which
interface the packets should
leave in order to find the next hop.

Has anyone tried something similar to this or have ideas for how to best
proceed?

Thanks,
Ben

--