Date:	Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:49:21 -0500
From:	Vlad Yasevich <vladislav.yasevich@...com>
To:	Steve Hill <steve.hill@...logic.com>
Cc:	Sridhar Samudrala <sri@...ibm.com>, Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, lksctp-developers@...ts.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Fw: Intermittent SCTP multihoming breakage

Steve Hill wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Sridhar Samudrala wrote:
>
> Sorry for the delay in replying.
>
>> No. lksctp-developers mailing list is still the best place for SCTP related
>> discussions. You can subscribe and look in the archives at
>>   http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lksctp-developers
>
> Hmm, I had a look there and it seemed reasonably inactive and overrun by
> spam.. (And I've been unable to subscribe).
>
>> How are the 2 machines connected? Are they connected directly or
>> via a router?
>
> They are currently connected together directly through crossover cables.
>
>> Do you see both the addresses when you do cat /proc/net/sctp/assocs
>> after the association is established on both the peers?
>
> Yes, the contents of /proc/net/sctp/assocs looks correct.
>
>> How are you dropping traffic? You could try simulating failover by
>> bringing down the interface or physically removing the link.
>
> I have been using iptables to drop SCTP packets on both the INPUT and
> OUTPUT chains.  However, I get the same results if I just unplug the
> network cable (using iptables is easier for my testing since I don't have
> to crawl around behind the test systems :)
>
>>> 1. Sometimes, just after failing over to the second path I see an ABORT.
>> This seems to indicate that somehow the app has terminated.
>
> The abort _appears_ to be caused by a retransmit timer expiring, causing
> the SCTP stack to tear down the association.  However, I haven't done much
> investigation of this problem yet - I've been focussing on the second
> problem since it seems to happen more frequently.
>
>>> 2. More frequently, the association stays up indefinately, with heartbeat
>>> requests and acks on the second path, but no data chunks are sent even
>>> though the transmit queue on the transmitting end appears to be full and
>>> the socket is blocking writes.
>> This is strange. Can you collect tcpdump traces on sender and receiver when
>> this happens?
>
> I've taken dumps of the data on the wire for both paths:
>   http://www.nexusuk.org/~steve/sctp/path1.pcap
>   http://www.nexusuk.org/~steve/sctp/path2.pcap

Taking a look at these it does appear to complete stall...  There are some
rather interesting retransmission that don't look quite right...

> I can't see anything odd in the network traffic - it just stops as if it
> has no more data to send.  However, the socket appears to still be
> blocking so the application cannot give it any new data.
>
> This seems to be a problem with the abandonment functionality:
> 1. Transmit chunk 1.  The transmitted list now contains chunk 1.
> 2. Chunk 1 and it's retransmissions get lost on the network.
> 3. Abandon chunk 1.  The transmitted list is now empty.

This causes a FORWARD TSN chunk to be sent to the peer telling him
to advance CTSN to that of chunk 1.

> 4. Transmit chunk 2.  the transmitted list now contains chunk 2
> 5. Receive a gap-ack for chunk 2, indicating that chunk 1 is missing.

Yes, but at this point, we will regenerate the FORWARD TSN since chunk1
is still on the abandoned list.

> At this point, the T3 timer is disabled at the bottom of
> sctp_check_transmitted() since all the chunks in the transmitted queue are
> gap-acked.  The whole connection now stalls, waiting for the SACK for
> chunk 1 that will never arrive.

I'll look some more at this...

-vlad