lists  /  announce  owl-users  owl-dev  john-users  john-dev  passwdqc-users  yescrypt  popa3d-users  /  oss-security  kernel-hardening  musl  sabotage  tlsify  passwords  /  crypt-dev  xvendor  /  Bugtraq  Full-Disclosure  linux-kernel  linux-netdev  linux-ext4  PHC 
Open Source and information security mailing list archives
Hash Suite: Windows password security audit tool. GUI, reports in PDF.
[<prev] [next>] [<thread-prev] [thread-next>] [day] [month] [year] [list]
Date:	Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:10:30 -0500
From:	Pavel Roskin <>
To:	Michael Buesch <>
Subject: Re: What is in bcm43xx-wireless-dev.git?

Quoting Michael Buesch <>:

> > I haven't looked at the code yet, but I tried to locate the bad commit.  I
> tried
> > commit a13f85d8a8eb40dfd157ab78c2fb91b5765b7b9d, which is your last merge,
> just
> > before the SSB changes.
> Yeah, sure. I know that this is the commit which introduced this.

Basically, you set up DMA on the PCI device, but use it on the SSB device.
That's inconsistent.  dma_alloc_coherent() is very picky on x86_64 and crashes
if dev->dma_mask is NULL, which was the case for the SSB device.

Looking at the patch, it's clear that the SSB device is used instead of the PCI
device in some places.  I restored the old logic.  If you meant to switch to
SSB devices, then please remove the last PCI references from that file.

The patch is attached.  It fixes the crash.  I didn't check that it's complete.
I really don't like the long chain of dereferences, and I hope you'll come up
with something better.

I still cannot associate.  The kernel log is attached.  Notice massive assertion

> Note that LO calibration is horribly broken in my tree.

I guess that's what the assertion failures are about.

> So you have a very weak signal, if any. My 4318 has no signal, for example.
> So basically don't expect to be able to transmit any data.
> This includes association.

Actually, I could scan, and I got 7 access points around.  Only one is in my

> But I think you should be able to assoc with a plain linville tree.

Nope.  Although I got DadWifi to work, and this message will we sent over it.
So it's not like I'm missing something essential about d80211 stack.

> > I'll try to look closely at the changes.  My immediate suspect is that we
> have
> > too many different fields called "dev".  All it takes is one cast to hide a
> > horrible mistake.  Although I think it would have affected you as well
> (unless
> We don't cast devs.

Yet I was pretty close :)

Pavel Roskin

View attachment "devdevdev.diff" of type "text/x-patch" (2322 bytes)

Download attachment "dmesg-fixed.gz" of type "application/x-gzip" (1319 bytes)

Powered by blists - more mailing lists