Date:	Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:15:24 -0500
From:	"Adam Kropelin" <akropel1@...hester.rr.com>
To:	"Auke Kok" <auke-jan.h.kok@...el.com>
Cc:	"Allen Parker" <parker@...hunt.com>,
	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: intel 82571EB gigabit fails to see link on 2.6.20-rc5 in-tree e1000 driver (regression)

Auke Kok wrote:
>Adam Kropelin wrote:
>> I am experiencing the no-link issue on a 82572EI single port copper
>> PCI-E card. I've only tried 2.6.20-rc5, so I cannot tell if this is a
>> regression or not yet. Will test older kernel soon.
>>
>> Can provide details/logs if you want 'em.
>
> we've already established that Allen's issue is not due to the driver
> and caused by interrupts being mal-assigned on his system, possibly a
> pci subsystem bug. You also have a completely different board
> (82572EI instead of 82571EB), so I'd like to see the usual debugging
> info as well as hearing from you whether 2.6.19.any works correctly.

On 2.6.19 the link status is working (follows cable plug/unplug), but no
tx or rx packets get thru. Attempts to transmit occasionally result in
tx timed out errors in dmesg, but I cannot seem to generate these at
will.

On 2.6.20-rc5, the link status does not work (link is always down), and
as expected no tx or rx. No tx timed out errors this time, presumably
because it thinks the link is down. Note that both the switch and the
LEDs on the NIC  indicate a good 1000 Mbps link.

dmesg, 'cat /proc/interrupts', and 'lspci -vvv' attached for 2.6.20-rc5.
The data from 2.6.19 is essentially the same.

> On top of that I posted a patch to rc5-mm yesterday that fixes a few
> significant bugs in the rc5-mm driver, so please apply that patch too
> before trying, so we're not wasting our time finding old bugs ;)

I haven't been able to test rc5-mm yet because it won't boot on this
box. Applying git-e1000 directly to -rc4 or -rc5 results in a number of
rejects that I'm not sure how to fix. Some are obvious, but the others
I'm unsure of.

--Adam

Download attachment "dmesg-2.6.20-rc5" of type "application/octet-stream" (19899 bytes)

Download attachment "lspci-2.6.20-rc5" of type "application/octet-stream" (21423 bytes)

Download attachment "proc-irq-2.6.20-rc5" of type "application/octet-stream" (769 bytes)