Date:	Wed, 24 Jan 2007 17:27:57 -0800
From:	Jay Vosburgh <fubar@...ibm.com>
To:	"JUNG, Christian" <christian.jung@...rstahl.com>
cc:	"'netdev@...r.kernel.org'" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: bonding: bug in balance-alb mode (incorrect update-ARP-replies)

JUNG, Christian <christian.jung@...rstahl.com> wrote:

>    You have to setup a box with at least two NICs, a bonding device
>enslaving
>    those, assign at least two IPs to the bond and make some traffic from a
>    different machine to one of those IPs.
>
>    If you delete that IP, the box will regardlessly send ARP-replies to the
>    machine which communicated to that IP before removing it.

	I've fooled around with this for a while today, and I see
generically what you're describing: after a local IP address is removed,
the corresponding entries in the bonding receive balance hash table are
not removed.  However, I'm not able induce the ill effects you describe
from this (following the script you supplied); I don't see the
(apparently) unsolicited ARP replies you show in your tcpdump traces.

	I do see some other weirdness when the receive balance hash
table becomes heavily populated, but nothing that is an ARP reply for an
address not assigned to the system.

	Is your test occuring on an isolated network, and is there other
concurrent network traffic that might be affecting things?

	-J

---
	-Jay Vosburgh, IBM Linux Technology Center, fubar@...ibm.com