Date:	Fri, 2 Mar 2007 10:56:23 +0100
From:	Eric Dumazet <dada1@...mosbay.com>
To:	Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@....mipt.ru>
Cc:	akepner@....com, linux@...izon.com, davem@...emloft.net,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Extensible hashing and RCU

On Friday 02 March 2007 09:52, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:

> Ok, I've ran an analysis of linked lists and trie traversals and found
> that (at least on x86) optimized one list traversal is about 4 (!)
> times faster than one bit lookup in trie traversal (or actually one
> lookup in binary tree-like structure) - that is because of the fact
> that trie traversal needs to have more instructions per lookup, and at
> least one additional branch which can not be predicted.
>
> Tests with rdtsc shows that one bit lookup in trie (actually it is any
> lookup in binary tree structures) is about 3-4 times slower than one
> lookup in linked list.
>
> Since hash table usually has upto 4 elements in each hash entry,
> competing binary tree/trie stucture must get an entry in one lookup,
> which is essentially impossible with usual tree/trie implementations.
>
> Things dramatically change when linked list became too long, but it
> should not happend with proper resizing of the hash table, wildcards
> implementation also introduce additional requirements, which can not be
> easily solved in hash tables.
>
> So I get my words about tree/trie implementation instead of hash table
> for socket lookup back.
>
> Interested reader can find more details on tests, asm outputs and
> conclusions at:
> http://tservice.net.ru/~s0mbre/blog/2007/03/01#2007_03_01

Thank you for this report. (Still avoiding cache misses studies, while they
obviously are the limiting factor)

Anyqay, if data is in cache and you want optimum performance from your cpu,
you may try to use an algorithm without conditional branches :
(well 4 in this case for the whole 32 bits tests)

gcc -O2 -S -march=i686 test1.c

View attachment "test1.c" of type "text/plain" (476 bytes)

View attachment "test1.s" of type "text/plain" (1165 bytes)