Date:	Tue, 6 Mar 2007 16:13:34 +0300
From:	"Vladimir B. Savkin" <master@...torb.msk.ru>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: livelock and soft-lockup with 2.6.20.1

Hello!

Today some topology loop emerged in our network
which caused our linux router (x86_64, dual opteron) to livelock
and to produce some soft-lockup messages.

With a presence of the loop, no other things could run on the machine
but packet processing and printing messages about duplicate address:
even the keyboard was not responding. I think it's not desirable
behavior since NAPI was designed to prevent such livelocks.

After the loop was fixed, the machine has recovered to a normal state.
Full dmesg output containing two traces is attached.
Are those soft-lockup messages only consequences of livelock,
or do they indicate some deadlocks?

~
:wq
                                        With best regards,
                                           Vladimir Savkin.

View attachment "DMESG-phoenix" of type "text/plain" (74111 bytes)