Date:	Wed, 7 Mar 2007 08:42:39 +0200 (EET)
From:	Pekka Savola <pekkas@...core.fi>
To:	Chris Friesen <cfriesen@...tel.com>
cc:	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...ux-foundation.org>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, jeremy@...p.org, ak@....de,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	virtualization@...ts.osdl.org, xen-devel@...ts.xensource.com,
	chrisw@...s-sol.org, zach@...are.com, rusty@...tcorp.com.au,
	ian.pratt@...source.com, Christian.Limpach@...cam.ac.uk,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, jeff@...zik.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] ARP notify option

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Chris Friesen wrote:
> Stephen Hemminger wrote:
>>  +arp_notify - BOOLEAN
>>  +	Define mode for notification of address and device changes.
>>  +	0 - (default): do nothing
>>  +	1 - Generate gratuitous arp replies when device is brought up
>>  +	    or hardware address changes.
>
> Did you consider using gratuitous arp requests instead?  I remember reading
> about some hardware that updated its arp cache on gratuitous requests but not
> gratuitous replies.

You might be interested in taking a look at:

http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-cheshire-ipv4-acd

There has been some follow-up discussion on this in the thread
starting at:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/int-area/current/msg00611.html

In particular, you may be interested in this comment about ARP
request and ARP reply for gratuitous ARP:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/int-area/current/msg00669.html