Date:	Thu, 08 Mar 2007 20:23:26 +0100
From:	Johannes Berg <johannes@...solutions.net>
To:	jt@....hp.com
Cc:	Michael Buesch <mb@...sch.de>, linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org,
	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@...ox.com>,
	Dan Williams <dcbw@...hat.com>,
	Jouni Malinen <jkm@...icescape.com>
Subject: Re: wireless extensions vs. 64-bit architectures

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 11:13 -0800, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:

> 	I'm looking into that. The good thing is that we have
> redundant information, so we can check that things don't match. It's a
> bit more complex because some of those take variable parameters.

Yeah, and it also only happens with those event streams I think. But I
haven't checked other possible places.

> > I'd think this is a kernel bug and 32-bit userspace should rightfully be
> > able to expect 32-bit aligned structs, no? Actually fixing it in the
> > kernel would not be trivial though.
>
> 	What we could do is have every 64 bit kernel return things on
> a 32 bit boundary, irrespective of userspace used. That would break
> current 64 bit userspace.

Yeah, the only way to fix the bug without breaking that would be to
return different structs for the different userspaces which sounds
really complex.

johannes

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (191 bytes)