Date:	Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:40:01 +0100
From:	Johannes Berg <johannes@...solutions.net>
To:	jt@....hp.com
Cc:	Jouni Malinen <jkm@...icescape.com>, Michael Buesch <mb@...sch.de>,
	linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org, netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@...ox.com>, Dan Williams <dcbw@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: wireless extensions vs. 64-bit architectures

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 13:35 -0800, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:

> 	It's not as bad as it look like. All userspace programs
> nowadays use either the iwlib or wpa_supplicant. For example,
> NetworkManager gets its stuff through wpa_supplicant, and kdenetwork
> uses iwlib. So, in essence, there is only two places to fix.

That's definitely not true, the latest network manager I have sources to
on my laptop right now (0.6.4) uses iwlib but only iw_get_ext and no
parsing functions. I would guess that others "use" iwlib like that too.

> 	By the way, I've just released version 29.pre16 which has a
> better band aid. It fixes bugs of the previous version and is more
> forward compatible (i.e. it's compatible with option 2).

Can you please also *document* the bandaid and actually *describe* it in
*words* instead of dense code without comments?

I'm still not convinced that papering over the problem in userspace is a
real solution.

johannes

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (191 bytes)