Date:	Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:06:31 -0700
From:	Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: TCP connection stops after high load.

David Miller wrote:
> From: Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>
> Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:26:36 -0700
>
>> Interestingly, I found this page mentioning a SACK problem in Linux:
>> http://www-didc.lbl.gov/TCP-tuning/linux.html
>
> Don't read that page, it is the last place in the world your should
> take hints and advice from, most of the problems they speak of there
> have been fixed years ago.

Much of their memory and buffer settings are similar to what I've
seen elsewhere..and what I use, but it could be we're all getting
the same info from the same faulty source.  Suggestions of a proper
site for tuning TCP for high speed/high latency links are welcome.

> Please start instrumenting the TCP code instead of "poking around"
> hoping you'll hit the grand jackpot by manipulating some sysctl
> setting.
>
> It doesn't help us and it won't help you, start reading and
> understanding the TCP code, add debugging printk's, anything to get
> more information about this.
>
> And please don't report anything here until you have some solid piece
> of debugging information, else I'll just sit here replying and
> prodding you along ever so slowly. :(

Does the CWND == 1 count as solid?  Any idea how/why this would go
to 1 in conjunction with the dup acks?

For the dup acks, I see nothing *but* dup acks on the wire...going in
both directions interestingly, at greater than 100,000 packets per second.

I don't mind adding printks...and I've started reading through the code,
but there is a lot of it, and indiscriminate printks will likely just
hide the problem because it will slow down performance so much.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>