Date:	Fri, 27 Apr 2007 13:32:51 -0700
From:	Rick Jones <rick.jones2@...com>
To:	Bryan Lawver <lawver1@...l.gov>
Cc:	"Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@....mellanox.co.il>,
	general@...ts.openfabrics.org,
	Linux Network Development list <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [ofa-general] Re: IPoIB forwarding

Bryan Lawver wrote:
> Your right about the ipoib module not combining packets (I believed you
> without checking) but I did never the less.  The ipoib_start_xmit
> routine is definitely handed a "double packet"  which means that the IP
> NIC driver or the kernel is combining two packets into a single super
> jumbo packet.  This issue is irrespective of the IP MTU setting because
> I have set all interfaces to 9000k yet  ipoib accepts and forwards this
> 17964 packet to the next IB node and onto the TCP stack where it is
> never acknowledged.  This may not have come up in prior testing because
> I am using some of the fastest IP NICs which have no trouble keeping up
> with or exceeding the bandwidth of the IB side.  This issue arises
> exactly every 8 packets...(ring buffer overrun??)
>
> I will be at Sonoma for the next few days as many on this list will be.

Some NICs (esp 10G) support large receive offload - they coalesce TCP segments
from the wire/fiber into larger ones they pass up the stack.  Perhaps that is
happening here?

I'm going to go out a bit on a limb, cross the streams, and include netdev,
because I suspect that if a system is acting as an IP router, one doesn't want
large receive offload enabled.  That may need some discussion in netdev - it may
then require some changes to default settings or some documentation
enhancements.  That or I'll learn that the stack is already dealing with the
issue...

rick jones