Date:	Thu, 10 May 2007 20:52:12 +0530
From:	Krishna Kumar2 <krkumar2@...ibm.com>
To:	Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@....mipt.ru>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] New driver API to speed up small packets xmits

Hi Evgeniy,

(krkumar2@...ibm.com) wrote:
> > The reason to implement the same was to speed up IPoIB driver. But
> > before doing that, a proof of concept for E1000/AMSO drivers was
> > considered (as most of the code is generic) before implementing for
> > IPoIB. I do not have test results at this time but I am working on it.
> >
> > Please let me know if this approach is acceptable, or any suggestions.
>
> Doesn't it looks exactly like GSO/TSO/LRO stuff implemented already?

It is the reverse - GSO will segment one super-packet just before calling
the driver so that the stack is traversed only once. In my case, I am
trying to send out multiple skbs, possibly small packets, in one shot.
GSO will not help for small packets.

> Btw, main CPU limiting factor here is syscall overhead (userspace
protocol
> processing with 1500 MTU allows to reduce CPU usage and increase
> performance for 128 bytes packets sending/receiving total of 10 times).

I will test this also. But I was curious to see if without any changes to
applications, I can get better performance by linking packets and sending
it once to the driver.

What is your opinion ?

thanks,

- KK