Date:	Fri, 11 May 2007 15:01:20 -0700
From:	"Waskiewicz Jr, Peter P" <peter.p.waskiewicz.jr@...el.com>
To:	<hadi@...erus.ca>, "Thomas Graf" <tgraf@...g.ch>
Cc:	"Herbert Xu" <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>,
	"David Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>, <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: take 2 WAS (RE: [RFC] make qdisc_restart more readable

> Ok, booting fine to me;
> if you receive this email, it must have worked. OTOH, if you
> didnt receive this it probably failed ;-> (as the presenter
> said "if you cant hear me in the far corner please raise your hand").
>
> clip away ...

+static inline int
+handle_dev_requeue(struct sk_buff *skb, struct net_device *dev, struct
Qdisc *q)
+{
+
+	if (unlikely(q == &noop_qdisc))
+		kfree_skb(skb);
+	else if (skb->next)
+		dev->gso_skb = skb;
+	else
+		q->ops->requeue(skb, q);
+	/* XXX: Could netif_schedule fail? Or is that fact we are
+	 * requeueing imply the hardware path is closed
+	 * and even if we fail, some interupt will wake us
+	*/
+	netif_schedule(dev);
+	return 0;
+}

The current requeue calls in qdisc_restart() returns a value of 1 to the
upper layer.  If you return 0, the __qdisc_run() won't break from the
while() it seems if you have to successfully requeue a packet.

-static inline int qdisc_restart(struct net_device *dev)
+int
+qdisc_restart(struct net_device *dev)
 {

Why is this no longer defined static?

+	/* we need to refresh q because it may be invalid since we
droped

<nitpick>
droped = dropped
</nitpick>

That's all I have for now.  I'll try applying it for kicks and see what
happens.

Thanks,

-PJ Waskiewicz