Date:	Fri, 11 May 2007 08:15:09 -0400
From:	jamal <hadi@...erus.ca>
To:	Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@....mipt.ru>
Cc:	Krishna Kumar2 <krkumar2@...ibm.com>,
	Ian McDonald <ian.mcdonald@...di.co.nz>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, Rick Jones <rick.jones2@...com>,
	Vlad Yasevich <vladislav.yasevich@...com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] New driver API to speed up small packets xmits

On Fri, 2007-11-05 at 15:53 +0400, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:

> As I said there might be another lock, if interrupt handler is shared,
> or registers are accessed, but it is privite driver's business, which
> has nothing in common with stack itself.

Ok, we are saying the same thing then. eg in e1000 that would be
tx_ring->lock or something along those lines.

> Stack just queues an skb,
> which, after detached from the tx queue by driver, just does not exist
> for stack anymore. It can be dequeed with rcu protection even.

in my case i had a dev->blist where the stack queued. You really want to
avoid requeueing altogether.
The trick i used is to have the driver tell you how many packets you can
pull off the qdisc.

cheers,
jamal