Date:	Fri, 22 Jun 2007 05:08:14 -0700
From:	Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>
To:	"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>
CC:	Patrick McHardy <kaber@...sh.net>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	shemminger@...ux-foundation.org, davem@...emloft.net,
	jeff@...zik.org
Subject: Re: [RFC NET 00/02]: Secondary unicast address support

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com> writes:
>
>> Patrick McHardy wrote:
>>> That doesn't happen under normal circumstances. I don't believe
>>> it would work.
>> Assuming you mean you want to send between two mac-vlans on the same physical
>> nic...
>>
>> This can work if your mac-vlans are on different subnets and you are
>> routing between them (and if you have my send-to-self patch or have
>> another way to let a system send packets to itself).
>
> Ok.  I didn't know if you could trigger this case without without
> having then endpoints in separate namespaces.  I was suspecting
> the routing code would realize what we were doing realize the
> route is local and route through lo.

The routing code will short-circuit by default.  It takes quite
a bit of effort to make them _not_ short circuit..that is what I
was talking about.  Mac-vlans will be just like any
other ethernet nics as far as routing goes.

>> A normal ethernet switch will NOT turn a packet around on the same
>> interface it was received, so that is why you must have them on different
>> subnets and have a router in between.
>
> Yes.  That is essentially the configuration I was wondering about.
>
>> For sending directly to yourself, something like the 'veth' driver
>> is probably more useful.
>
> True.  And I think it has a place.  However the common case with
> the tunnel devices is to just hook them all up to an ethernet
> bridge as well as a real ethernet device.
>
> The far ends of the ethernet tunnels are dropped into different namespaces.
>
> Which gets a very similar effect to the mac vlan code.
>
> I'm just wondering if I can not setup an ethernet tunnel device
> when my primary purpose is to talk to the outside world, but occasionally
> want a little in the box traffic.

mac-vlans should work on veth devices just fine, and the veths will also
short-circuit route (at least if they are in the same namespace).

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do..but in general
both veth and mac-vlans should act like ethernet nics..so if you can
find some way that does _not_ hold, please let us know.

Thanks,
Ben