Date:	Sun, 8 Jul 2007 15:01:37 -0700
From:	Jonathan Lundell <linux@...dell-bros.com>
To:	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...ux.intel.com>
Cc:	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>, Mark McLoughlin <markmc@...hat.com>,
	"Kok, Auke" <auke-jan.h.kok@...el.com>,
	e1000-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	"Ronciak, John" <john.ronciak@...el.com>,
	Jason Lunz <lunz@...lexsecurity.com>
Subject: Re: [E1000-devel] RFR: New e1000 driver (e1000new), was: Re: e1000: backport ich9 support from 7.5.5 ?

On Jul 8, 2007, at 1:14 PM, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

>> I reject the notion that a "flag day" switchover for a huge mass of
>> e1000 users is the correct path.  I do not think that best serves
>> Linux
>> users.
>
> so the options we have is do it one pci id a time; and the suggestion
> by others like Christoph has been to make the split at the PCI Express
> switchover. Do you agree with that approach?

My preference, as someone who has to support pretty much all
generations of e1000-supported hardware in the field running critical
applications is for a single well-structured driver. Qualifying a new
release of the driver is a big deal, and having to qualify two of
them doesn't really appeal to me.

We're seeing at least a couple of generations of mainboard that will
have both PCIe and PCI-X slots (and adapters) in them, so even in the
same box a PCIe split would require us to use both drivers. If
splitting the driver really makes for substantial simplification of
both, I suppose that's a compensating benefit, but it's not purely
beneficial.

The e1000 driver (and the team behind it) has been a blessing to our
business. Whatever they're doing right, I'd like to see them keep
doing it.