Date:	Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:57:46 +0200
From:	patric <pakar@...erialnet.org>
To:	Michael Chan <mchan@...adcom.com>
CC:	Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.com>,
	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: tg3 issues

Michael Chan wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 18:59 +0200, patric wrote:
>

>> Thanks... That's a confirmation on what i  suspected.. I think i'll dig
>> into the code instead and try to figure out some way of making it work a
>> bit better for my setup atleast...
>> I'll post a patch later if i get something working... Btw, do you have
>> any timings on how long it takes for the cards to get a lock on the link?
>>

> Serdes link comes up very fast.  The clause 37 autoneg involves going
> through a few states and exchanging base pages and optional next pages.
> Each state completes in 10 msec, so the whole autoneg should complete in
> roughly 100 msec or so.  But because it is done in software for these
> older cards, it can take much longer because it can get out-of-sync.
>
> -

Hi,

Think i got something working for me at least, and the fix is quite
minimal and only downside that i could see from it was that you might
get a small delay when bringing up the interface, but that's probably
better than getting a non-functional interface that reports that it's up.

The fix seems to be quite simple with just a random sleep at the end of
"tg3_setup_fiber_by_hand():"

                tw32_f(MAC_MODE, tp->mac_mode);
                udelay(40);
        }

out:
        udelay( net_random() % 400 );
        return current_link_up;
}

Not sure that this is a good fix or if it might break on other systems,
but maybe you could have a quick look at that?

Regards,
Patric