lists.openwall.net   lists  /  announce  owl-users  owl-dev  john-users  john-dev  passwdqc-users  yescrypt  popa3d-users  /  oss-security  kernel-hardening  musl  sabotage  tlsify  passwords  /  crypt-dev  xvendor  /  Bugtraq  Full-Disclosure  linux-kernel  linux-netdev  linux-ext4  linux-hardening  PHC 
Open Source and information security mailing list archives
 
Hash Suite for Android: free password hash cracker in your pocket
[<prev] [next>] [<thread-prev] [day] [month] [year] [list]
Date:	Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:11:06 +0530
From:	Krishna Kumar2 <krkumar2@...ibm.com>
To:	hadi@...erus.ca
Cc:	davem@...emloft.net, gaagaan@...il.com,
	general@...ts.openfabrics.org, herbert@...dor.apana.org.au,
	jagana@...ibm.com, jeff@...zik.org, johnpol@....mipt.ru,
	kaber@...sh.net, kumarkr@...ux.ibm.com, mcarlson@...adcom.com,
	mchan@...adcom.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	peter.p.waskiewicz.jr@...el.com, rdreier@...co.com,
	rick.jones2@...com, Robert.Olsson@...a.slu.se, sri@...ibm.com,
	tgraf@...g.ch, xma@...ibm.com
Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/10] Implement batching skb API

Jamal,

This is silly. I am not responding to this type of presumptuous and
insulting mails.

Regards,

- KK

J Hadi Salim <j.hadi123@...il.com> wrote on 07/25/2007 12:58:20 AM:

> KK,
>
> On Tue, 2007-24-07 at 09:14 +0530, Krishna Kumar2 wrote:
>
> >
> > J Hadi Salim <j.hadi123@...il.com> wrote on 07/23/2007 06:02:01 PM:
>
>
> > Actually you have not sent netperf results with prep and without prep.
>
> My results were based on pktgen (which i explained as testing the
> driver). I think depending on netperf without further analysis is
> simplistic. It was like me doing forwarding tests on these patches.
>
> > > So _which_ non-LLTX driver doesnt do that? ;->
> >
> > I have no idea since I haven't looked at all drivers. Can you tell
which
> > all non-LLTX drivers does that ? I stated this as the sole criterea.
>
> The few i have peeked at all do it. I also think the e1000 should be
> converted to be non-LLTX. The rest of netdev is screaming to kill LLTX.
>
> > > tun driver doesnt use it either - but i doubt that makes it "bloat"
> >
> > Adding extra code that is currently not usable (esp from a submission
> > point) is bloat.
>
> So far i have converted 3 drivers, 1 of them doesnt use it. Two more
> driver conversions are on the way, they will both use it. How is this
> bloat again?
> A few emails back you said if only IPOIB can use batching then thats
> good enough justification.
>
> > > You waltz in, have the luxury of looking at my code, presentations,
many
> > > discussions with me etc ...
> >
> > "luxury" ?
> > I had implemented the entire thing even before knowing that you
> > are working on something similar! and I had sent the first proposal to
> > netdev,
>
> I saw your patch at the end of may (or at least 2 weeks after you said
> it existed). That patch has very little resemblance to what you just
> posted conceptwise or codewise. I could post it if you would give me
> permission.
>
> > *after* which you told that you have your own code and presentations
(which
> > I had never seen earlier - I joined netdev a few months back, earlier I
was
> > working on RDMA, Infiniband as you know).
>
> I am gonna assume you didnt know of my work - which i have been making
> public for about 3 years. Infact i talked about this topic when i
> visited your office in 2006 on a day you were not present, so it is
> plausible you didnt hear of it.
>
> >  And it didn't give me any great
> > ideas either, remember I had posted results for E1000 at the time of
> > sending the proposals.
>
> In mid-June you sent me a series of patches which included anything from
> changing variable names to combining qdisc_restart and about everything
> i referred to as being "cosmetic differences" in your posted patches. I
> took two of those and incorporated them in. One was an "XXX" in my code
> already to allocate the dev->blist
> (Commit: bb4464c5f67e2a69ffb233fcf07aede8657e4f63).
> The other one was a mechanical removal of the blist being passed
> (Commit: 0e9959e5ee6f6d46747c97ca8edc91b3eefa0757).
> Some of the others i asked you to defer. For example, the reason i gave
> you for not merging any qdisc_restart_combine changes is because i was
> waiting for Dave to swallow the qdisc_restart changes i made; otherwise
> maintainance becomes extremely painful for me.
> Sridhar actually provided a lot more valuable comments and fixes but has
> not planted a flag on behalf of the queen of spain like you did.
>
> > However I do give credit in my proposal to you for what
> > ideas that your provided (without actual code), and the same I did for
other
> > people who did the same, like Dave, Sridhar. BTW, you too had
discussions with me,
> > and I sent some patches to improve your code too,
>
> I incorporated two of your patches and asked for deferal of others.
> These patches have now shown up in what you claim as "the difference". I
> just call them "cosmetic difference" not to downplay the importance of
> having an ethtool interface but because they do not make batching
> perform any better. The real differences are those two items. I am
> suprised you havent cannibalized those changes as well. I thought you
> renamed them to something else; according to your posting:
> "This patch will work with drivers updated by Jamal, Matt & Michael Chan
> with minor modifications - rename xmit_win to xmit_slots & rename batch
> handler". Or maybe thats a "future plan" you have in mind?
>
> > so it looks like a two
> > way street to me (and that is how open source works and should).
>
> Open source is a lot more transparent than that.
>
> You posted a question, which was part of your research. I responded and
> told you i have patches; you asked me for them and i promptly ported
> them from pre-2.6.18 to the latest kernel at the time.
>
> The nature of this batching work is one of performance. So numbers are
> important. If you had some strong disagreements on something in the
> architecture, then it would be of great value to explain it in a
> technical detail - and more importantly to provide some numbers to say
> why it is a bad idea. You get numbers by running some tests.
> You did none of the above. Your effort has been to produce "your patch"
> for whatever reasons. This would not have been problematic to me if it
> actually was based within reasons of optimization because the end goal
> would have been achieved.
>
> I have deleted the rest of the email because it goes back and forth on
> the same points.
>
> I am gonna continue work on the current tree i have. I will put more
> time when i get back next week (and hopefully no travel right after).
> I will upgrade to Daves tree later when i get the two new drivers in. I
> am probably gonna hold on until the new NAPI stuff settles in first. You
> are welcome to  submit the ipoib changes in. You are also welcome to
> co-author with me but you will have to work for it this time.
>
> cheers,
> jamal
>

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe netdev" in
the body of a message to majordomo@...r.kernel.org
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Powered by blists - more mailing lists