Date:	Tue, 14 Aug 2007 22:46:52 -0700
From:	Bruce Cole <bacole@...il.com>
To:	gundy@...et.net.au
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, bacole@...il.com
Subject: Re: Realtek r8168 slow outbound transfer - potential fix/workaround

gundy@...et.net.au wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> I settled on using ndelay(10) rather than udelay(25) in the end..
> it's probably a bit safer & less likely to cause problems with higher
> throughputs.
Yes, I saw that you later recommended the change but opted to try it the
way you tested first.

> When I was diagnosing the problem I used 2 machines.  One machine was
> running Samba on linux (the 'problem' machine), and one was a windows
> XP machine.
Likewise, tho I also tested vista.

> I used tcpdump to capture the traffic on the Samba machine, and used
> wireshark to capture the traffic on the windows machine.  What i found
> was happening was that samba was attempting to send two packets to the
> windows machine in quick succession (ie. something in the order of a
> 1/10,000th or less of a second apart).  Although both packets showed
> up in the tcpdump output from the linux machine, only the first packet
> appeared to be making it to the windows machine.   Because the second
> packet was 'lost', it had to be retried after a delay and this is what
> was causing the abysmal performance.
>
> The reasoning behind my patch was that I figured the TxPoll register
> wasn't being given enough time to reset itself after sending the
> previous packet.   I may or may not have been correct with that
> assumption, but as you noticed the delay does seem to make it behave a
> bit better.
Disclaimer: I haven't seen the definition for that register so I'm just
guessing here.
I suppose the danger is that your fix may just be changing the timing
around such that the time-dependent bug does not occur as readily, yet a
bug remains.  Does anyone have the programming spec for this chip from
realtek, or are we all just forced to guess :)?

> I understand that Francios came up with a similar patch that he said
> also worked, and that he thought was a bit more robust than my
> method.  I'd check with him on what the status of that particular
> patch is.
Thanks, I don't see that patch in 2.6.23-rc3 but I'll try Francios'
recommendations first and if that doesn't work I'll test out things with
the shorter ndelay().