Date:	Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:31:34 -0400
From:	Paul Moore <paul.moore@...com>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: [RFC] Wild and crazy ideas involving struct sk_buff

Over in LSM/SELinux land there has been a lot of talk recently about how to
deal with loopback and forwarded traffic, specifically, how to preserve the
sender's security label on those two types of traffic.  Yes, there is the
existing sk_buff.secmark field but that is already being used for something
else and utilizing it for this purpose has it's pros/cons.

We're currently talking about several different ideas to solve the problem,
including leveraging the sk_buff.secmark field, and one of the ideas was to
add an additional field to the sk_buff structure.  Knowing how well that idea
would go over (lead balloon is probably an understatement at best) I started
looking at what I might be able to remove from the sk_buff struct to make
room for a new field (the new field would be a u32).  Looking at the sk_buff
structure it appears that the sk_buff.dev and sk_buff.iif fields are a bit
redundant and removing the sk_buff.dev field could free 32/64 bits depending
on the platform.  Is there any reason (performance?) for keeping the
sk_buff.dev field around?  Would the community be open to patches which
removed it and transition users over to the sk_buff.iif field?  Finally,
assuming the sk_buff.dev field was removed, would the community be open to
adding a new LSM/SELinux related u32 field to the sk_buff struct?

Thanks.

--
paul moore
linux security @ hp