Date:	Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:53:26 -0400
From:	John Heffner <jheffner@....edu>
To:	lm@...mover.com, John Heffner <jheffner@....edu>,
	Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>,
	torvalds@...ux-foundation.org, davem@...emloft.net,
	wscott@...mover.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: tcp bw in 2.6

Larry McVoy wrote:
> More data, we've conclusively eliminated the card / cpu from the mix.
> We've got 2 ia64 boxes with e1000 interfaces.  One box is running
> linux 2.6.12 and the other is running hpux 11.
>
> I made sure the linux one was running at gigabit and reran the tests
> from the linux/ia64 <=> hp/ia64.  Same results, when linux sends
> it is slow, when it receives it is fast.
>
> And note carefully: we've removed hpux from the equation, we can do
> the same tests from linux to multiple linux clients and see the same
> thing, sending from the server is slow, receiving on the server is
> fast.

I think I'm still missing some basic data here (probably because this
thread did not originate on netdev).  Let me try to nail down some of
the basics.  You have a linux ia64 box (running 2.6.12 or 2.6.18?) that
sends slowly, and receives faster, but not quite a 1 Gbps?  And this is
true regardless of which peer it sends or receives from?  And the
behavior is different depending on which kernel?  How, and which kernel
versions?  Do you have other hardware running the same kernel that
behaves the same or differently?

Have you done ethernet cable tests?  Have you tried measuring the udp
sending rate?  (Iperf can do this.)  Are there any error counters on the
interface?

   -John