Date:	Tue, 13 Nov 2007 11:49:02 -0700
From:	Matthew Wilcox <matthew@....cx>
To:	Mark Lord <liml@....ca>
Cc:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, alsa-devel@...a-project.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, linux-pcmcia@...ts.infradead.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, protasnb@...il.com,
	linux-ide@...r.kernel.org, bugme-daemon@...zilla.kernel.org,
	linux-input@...ey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Subject: Re: [BUG] New Kernel Bugs

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 01:43:53PM -0500, Mark Lord wrote:
> Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> >ie about half what you claim.
> ..
>
> No, it's from earlier in this very thread:
>
> Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >git clone \
> >git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
> ..
>
> mkdir t
> cd t
> git clone
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
> (wait half an hour)
> /usr/bin/du -s linux-2.6
> 522732  linux-2.6

You're assuming that everything in linux-2.6 was downloaded; that's
not true.  Everything in linux-2.6/.git was downloaded; but then you do a
checkout which happens to approximately double the size of the linux-2.6
directory.  If you do git-clone -n, you'll get a closer estimate to the
size of the download.

I suppose git-clone should grow a -v option that it could pass to rsync
to let us find out how many bytes are actually transferred, but i'm
happy to go with 250MB as a close estimate to the amount of data to xfer.

When you compare it to the 60MB tarballs that are published, it's really
not that bad.

a retrograde step."