Date:	Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:21:36 -0600
From:	Robert Hancock <hancockr@...w.ca>
To:	"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>
Cc:	Ulrich Drepper <drepper@...hat.com>,
	Roland McGrath <roland@...hat.com>,
	Guillaume Chazarain <guichaz@...oo.fr>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Pavel Emelyanov <xemul@...nvz.org>,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>, Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>,
	kernel list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: 2.6.24-rc3: find complains about /proc/net

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Could you elaborate a bit on how the semantics of returning the
> wrong information are more useful?
>
> In particular if a thread does the logical equivalent of:
> grep Pid: /proc/self/status.  It always get the tgid despite
> having a different process id.

The POSIX-defined userspace concept of a PID requires that all threads
appear to have the same PID. This is something that Linux didn't comply
with under the old LinuxThreads implementation and was finally fixed
with NPTL. This isn't a POSIX-defined interface, but I assume it's
trying to be consistent with getpid(), etc.

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@...pamshaw.ca