Date:	Sun, 06 Jan 2008 00:50:56 +0100
From:	"Manfred Schwarb" <manfred99@....ch>
To:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>
Cc:	dadams1969@...il.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: driver for et131x?

Christoph,

> On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 11:02:53AM +0100, Manfred Schwarb wrote:
> > meanwhile the Agere et1310 chip has grown to a quite popular network
> > chip, in laptops as well as for PCI-E cards. The release date of this
> chip was
> > already in June 2004, and still no support in mainline linux.
> >
> > There is apparently an opensource driver from Agere which is maintained
> by
> > volunteers at http://sourceforge.net/projects/et131x/
> >
> > It seems some distros (e.g. Ubuntu) even patch their kernels with this
> driver.
> >
> > Please consider adding support for this chip in mainline linux.
>
> The driver on the above site would need quite a bit of work to bring it
> up to Linux standards.  That work shouldn't be difficult but enough to
> keep someone busy for a while.  If you have the hardware I'd be happy yo
> guide you through the required work.  Are you interested in taking up
> this project?

I'm afraid my c and linux network driver programming knowledge is not
good enough to dare to take up such a project.

However, I would volunteer to do the dirty work, i.e. bring it to
linux coding style, try to clean up some #ifdef and typedef things,
if there is someone to take it over afterwards, who will do the
"real" work.

Regards,
Manfred