Date:	Fri, 22 Feb 2008 00:19:19 +0100
From:	Eric Dumazet <dada1@...mosbay.com>
To:	Daniel Lezcano <dlezcano@...ibm.com>
CC:	"David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC,PATCH] loopback: calls netif_receive_skb() instead of netif_rx()

Daniel Lezcano a écrit :
> Eric Dumazet wrote:
>> Hi David
>>
>> This is an RFC, based on net-2.6 for convenience only.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> [RFC,PATCH] loopback: calls netif_receive_skb() instead of netif_rx()
>>
>> Loopback transmit function loopback_xmit() actually calls netif_rx()
>> to queue
>> a skb to the softnet queue, and arms a softirq so that this skb can be
>> handled later.
>>
>> This has a cost on SMP, because we need to hold a reference on the
>> device, and free this
>> reference when softirq dequeues packet.
>>
>> Following patch directly calls netif_receive_skb() and avoids lot of
>> atomic operations.
>> (atomic_inc(&dev->refcnt), set_and_set_bit(NAPI_STATE_SCHED,
>> &n->state), ...
>>  atomic_dec(&dev->refcnt)...), cache line ping-pongs on device refcnt,
>> but also softirq overhead.
>>
>> This gives a nice boost on tbench for example (5 % on my machine)
>
> I understand this is interesting for the loopback when there is no
> multiple instances of it and it can't be unregistered. But now with the
> network namespaces, we can have multiple instances of the loopback and
> it can to be unregistered. Shouldn't we still use netif_rx ?
> Perhaps we can do something like:
>
>     if (dev->nd_net == &init_net)
>         netif_receive_skb(skb);
>     else
>         netif_rx(skb);

or

#ifdef CONFIG_NET_NS
	if (dev->nd_net != &init_net)
		netif_rx(skb);
	else
#endif
		netif_receive_skb(skb);

> Or we create:
>     init_loopback_xmit() calling netif_receive_skb(skb);
>     and setup this function when creating the loopback for init_net,
>     otherwise we setup the usual loopback_xmit.
>
> We are still safe for multiple network namespaces and we have the
> improvement for init_net loopback.

I dont understand how my patch could degrade loopbackdev unregister logic. It
should only help it, by avoiding a queue of 'pending packets' per cpu.

When we want to unregister a network device, stack makes sure that no more
calls to dev->hard_start_xmit() can occur.

If no more loopback_xmit() calls are done on this device, it doesnt matter if
it internally uses netif_rx() or netif_receive_skb(skb)

loopback device has no queue, its really unfortunate to use the 'softirq'
internal queue.