Date:	Fri, 28 Mar 2008 22:45:03 +0200
From:	"Denys Fedoryshchenko" <denys@...p.net.lb>
To:	Eric Dumazet <dada1@...mosbay.com>,
	Stephen Hemminger <stephen.hemminger@...tta.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, netfilter-devel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: kernel 2.6.25-rc7 highly unstable on high load

It seems or patch change something (but it is just showing debug, strange),
or there is something fixed between 2.6.25-rc7-git1 and 2.6.25-rc7-git3. LC-
trie working fine, HASH also i cannot see any leaks.

I  will have to wait 5-6 hours to make sure. After this time pass, if i will
not see bug again, i will try to run kernel just with default debug like
before.

If it is required, i can test performance and cpu load with/without routing
cache on real workload. Sure it is better to have syntetic tests before that.

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 13:23:59 -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:57:55 +0100
> Eric Dumazet <dada1@...mosbay.com> wrote:
>
> > Eric Dumazet a [UTF-8?] :
> > > Denys Fedoryshchenko a [UTF-8?] :
> > >>

> > > We still leak dsts somewhere.
> > >
> > > You could try git bisect, or try to patch net/core/dst.c so that
> > > dst_gc_task() (line 83) displays
> > > route informations for say 10 first entries found in the dst_busy_list
> > > (refcnt, interface, source IP, dest IP, things like that) that could
> > > ring a bell given your netfilter rules or network conf.
> >
> > I cooked a patch (untested) to implement this idea :
> >
> > It should display lines similar to /proc/net/rt_cache (reusing the same
> > helper function)
> >

> I wonder how much the route cache really helps when it grows so
> large? Robert Olsson had suggested that turning it off when routing
> would help. Perhaps the route cache is only really useful for local
> destinations? If the cost of maintaining the route cache exceeds the
> cost of just using the existing route table, there is no value to
> having a route cache.
> --

Denys Fedoryshchenko
Technical Manager