Date:	Fri, 4 Apr 2008 19:38:42 +0100
From:	"Andrew Brampton" <andrew@...mp.freeserve.co.uk>
To:	<netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: sock_get_timestamp() ktime_to_timeval returns -2?

Hi,
I'm using the following piece of code to record the received time of my
packets.

struct timeval tv = {0,0};
if ( ioctl(s, SIOCGSTAMP, &tv) )
   return 0;

When I use UDP this is all great, but when I use TCP this stops working. I
have since found out that I can't use this for TCP packets[1], but the
reason I'm writing this email is because ioctl returns zero when using TCP
and tv has a odd value in it. tv.tv_sec = -2, and tv.tv_usec = 999999.

Now I assume -2 is some kind of error code, so I dug into the linux code to
try and figure out what it means. The ioctl eventually calls
sock_get_timestamp() which in turn calls ktime_to_timeval. I can see in
sock_get_timestamp() that tv_sec is compared to -1 and ioctl returns an
error, however I can not find where tv_sec is set to -2. If -2 is another
error code then it should be checked inside sock_get_timestamp().

So I'm wondering if this is a bug in the kernel somewhere, or should I just
expect ioctl to fail yet return 0? I have not included a test app, but if
you want I'll be happy to code a short app to show this problem, but the
critital lines are the ioctl call and that a TCP socket is used. This occurs
on both the 2.6.22-3-amd64 kernel as well as on 2.6.24.

Thanks
Andrew

[1] http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0301.2/1248.html