Date:	Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:21:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Matthew Wilcox <matthew@....cx>
cc:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>,
	"Kok, Auke" <auke-jan.h.kok@...el.com>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>,
	NetDev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	e1000-list <e1000-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>,
	linux-pci maillist <linux-pci@...ey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>,
	Jesse Brandeburg <jesse.brandeburg@...el.com>,
	"Ronciak, John" <john.ronciak@...el.com>,
	"Allan, Bruce W" <bruce.w.allan@...el.com>,
	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...ux.intel.com>,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>
Subject: Re: [patch] e1000=y && e1000e=m regression fix

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> We only support people keeping their old configs after they run 'make
> oldconfig', right?  At which point they'd be prompted for E1000_SUPPORT.
> Presumably they'd think "That's odd.

Ok, I'm not even interested in discussing this.

Have you followed the discussion at all? Did you even notice _why_ we're
discussing it?

Here's a damn big hint: teh thing you say "Presumably they'd think" is
exactly what we're talking about, AND HELL NO THEY DIDN'T!

That goes for both me and Ingo.

So stop blathering. The _fact_ is that two kernel developers were really
upset about the fact that their machines stopped working with old
configurations. Stop the inane ".. but that would never happen", because
the whole discussion is because IT DID HAPPEN!

		Linus