Date:	Tue, 15 Apr 2008 16:23:33 +0300
From:	"Ian Brown" <ianbrn@...il.com>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, yoshfuji@...ux-ipv6.org
Subject: Why MLDv2 Report packet is freed ?

Hello,

I have a question about the multicast routing support and pim6sd in
this latest tree;

I tried to run pim6sd daemon on a kernel with the latest updates from
the git tree;
and I had also a host with the latest updates from the git tree.
(The  pim6sd is taken from yoshifuji mcast-tools git tree.0

When a host joins a multicast group  a
Multicast Listener Report V2 (MLDV2) is sent. It is of type 143,
which is ICMPV6_MLD2_REPORT. I can see it with a sniffer on the router machine
running pim6sd.

The destination of the MLDv2 report is ff02::16.

Now, I don't understand something here:
I had looked at icmpv6_rcv() in net/ipv6/icmp.c.

I see that when the type of the ICMP packet is ICMPV6_MLD2_REPORT it
is dropped (calling kfree_skb()).

shouldn't it be handled and passed onward so that it will
eventually reach the pim6sd daemon ? or is this
only implemented currently for MLDV1 ?

I want to add that I saw on the machine running pim6sd that
this packet does not reach accept_mld6(). (I added some printing there).

This does not change also with "phyint eth0 mld_version 2" to pim6sd.conf;

Two last notes:
- I had mc_forwarding and forwarding set for IPv6 on the router machine.
- pim6stat shows possible MLD version = 1 on all interfaces (also after
  restarting pim6sd with mld_version 2).

Regards,
IB