Date:	Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:30:50 +0100
From:	Gerrit Renker <gerrit@....abdn.ac.uk>
To:	Tomasz Grobelny <tomasz@...belny.oswiecenia.net>
Cc:	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...hat.com>, dccp@...r.kernel.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [DCCP] [RFC] [Patchv2 1/1]: Queuing policies -- reworked
	version of Tomasz's patch set

| If inet{,6}_skb_parm is used only outside DCCP code then why at all should it
| be placed in struct dccp_skb_cb taking up quite a lot of valuable space? Why
| not put it directly in struct sk_buff? Especially that it is present in
| struct udp_skb_cb, struct tcp_skb_cb as well.

With or without inet{,6}_sbk_parm there are a further unused 32 bits in the cb -- by
restricting the 48-bit sequence/ack numbers from their current u64 type to 48 bit
only.  This requires to change the parts which rely on DCCP_PKT_WITHOUT_ACK_SEQ,
but that seems possible to do.
So we can reduce this to the other question "is 32 bit enough for priority information".

| > | While we are developing in the test tree compatibility is not important
| > | at all. But real world needs compatibility, especially if it's not that
| > | expensive. Otherwise people will get weird behaviour without any messages
| > | indicating what is wrong. And it's certainly not how code should be
| > | written. It can't be that binary package of VLC (or any other streaming
| > | server) cannot use newer kernel version because we added a new field.

| > True, but we need to get something working first. There is no point
| > exporting an API which only works half.
| >
| You can never assume that the API is feature complete. Even if it "works half"
| at the beginning (which is I guess quite normal) it should be easy to make
| it "work full" without breaking compatibility when it's not necessary.

No I don't agree. Things that work half are worse than constant failures, since
it is never clear when they will fail next. But maybe you didn't mean that.

| > In this regard, another problem with the patch has arisen: the type of
| > passing priority information will not work on 64-bit architectures in
| > compatibility mode.
| >
| > Thanks to an answer by David Miller I found this out today. You can
| > verify this problem by running the patch e.g. on a sparc64 system: no
| > packets will be sent, sendmsg() returns with EINVAL.
| >
| I don't have any 64 bit system at hand...
| Does David's suggestion mean that changes are only required in userspace
| application or on the kernel side as well?

In both -- I will send an update in reply to this message and a link to
some user code. Very busy right now.

| > | struct dccp_packet_info
| > | {
| > | 	s8	priority;
| > | 	u16	timeout_mantissa:10;
| > | 	u16	timeout_exponent:6;
| > | }
| > | ? That would still fit in 32-bit integer (so could be stored in
| > | skb->priority), but would provide a much cleaner interface.
| > | --
| >
| > Yes that is possible. It need not be a struct, the same effect can be
| > achieved with bit shifts and bitmasks (this is the way the Ack Vectors
| > are encoded).
| >
| Yes, it can be achieved by bit operations. But to me a structure is a much
| cleaner way. And that is especially important when designing interfaces.
| Final effects should be the same but when using structure it is the compiler
| that takes care of low level bit operations.

You are free to use what you think is best. But I think both ways are
equivalent, using e.g. typecasts to get from one to the other. I.e.
I think we have no disagreement here.

| > Semantically there is no restriction of what the u32 number represents. And
| > it is a large space. I don't think that a larger size is required.
| >
| Ok, for now 32 bits are enough and I can't think of the need to use more bits.
| I wouldn't be so sure about future though. But ok, if it turns up that we
| need more space in the future then we will see, there is no need to worry
| about it now. We can indeed assume 32 bits for now.
| --
So it only remains to see whether to use a field in dccp_skb_cb, or to
use skb->priority. I think the latter has advantages, since this field
is only set/used for the SO_PRIORITY field (in socket(7)).