Date:	Mon, 12 May 2008 16:39:21 -0700
From:	ackman <ackman@....org>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: RTL8169 driver no longer functioning with 8111b

I've spent the better part of a day researching this to no avail.  I run
Gentoo on an Abit AB9 PRO P965 board.  It has two onboard ports for a
Realtek 8111B Gigabit interface.  I have been running 2.6.23-gentoo-r8
(I think) kernel sources.  I went to reboot the unit, something I've
done many times before, and upon reboot the two NICs were recognized but
there was no network.  The link status for one was down (my primary port
where the NIC cable has always been), while the other port showed a link
status of yes.  Neither change regardless of cable now.  Also, all other
values are pretty much *unknown*.  If I turn off the machine, the link
status light (both on the port and my switch) is lit until the kernel
module for r8169 is loaded, and then the link light goes off (both on
the port and my switch).

For the life of me, I don't know what has changed short of general
software updates in Gentoo.  I scoured the web, find suggestions about
where Windows has turned the NIC off.  The trouble is I don't use
Windows period on this box, no do I have the software to even test the
theory of the power savings being turn on.  It just mysteriously has
stopped being alive.  lspci shows the devices, their given eth0 and eth1
as usual, I can disable them in the bios and watch Linux recognize
they're missing, but still I can't for the life of me get them to act
properly.  I've tried turning off ACPI, I've tried 2.6.24-gentoo-r7
kernel, I've tried the Realtek driver source for r8168.  ACPI support
was the only thing I can think of that has been a major change on the
system anytime recently.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
How might I turn off the power saving feature in the chip via linux?

-Ack