Date:	Tue, 13 May 2008 18:29:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:	Ack <ackman@....org>
To:	Francois Romieu <romieu@...zoreil.com>
cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: RTL8169 driver no longer functioning with 8111b

Sorry, I meant to say I couldn't see the box when I was typing up the
email, it was indeed 2.6.23-gentoo-r8.

In the interest of saving your time, I managed to fix it, and I'm not
entirely sure why, but here's what I continued to do:

I took the network cable, and connected both onboard ports to it.  This
caused the NIC ports to turn on the orange (instead of green) light, as
expected normally.  Otherwise, the connection light would only be green
prior to the kernel module load from a cold boot (once the module loads,
the link light went dead and would stay dead).  Next I connected the port
to a 100MB switch and now the link came back up.  Plugged the cable back
to the gigabit switch, and link stays down.  Forced the eth0 to 100MB and
the link came back up.  Switch back to Autoneg (where ethtool had
constantly said it was) and bang my card link stay up when disconnecting
and reconnecting.  Honestly, I suppose I should have tried this
previously, but I'd not had this problem on reboot any in the past, it's
always been autoneg and ethtool was reporting as expected for that option.
Very strange.  Thanks for wasting your time though.  Not sure what would
need to be done for the driver for this as I'm not really sure how it got
to the state it was in just by that reboot.

-Ack