Date:	Fri, 16 May 2008 16:52:54 +0900
From:	Ichiro Suzuki <isuzuki@...aclelinux.com>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	Naohiro Ooiwa <nooiwa@...aclelinux.com>
Subject: Question about VLAN + checksum offloading

Hi,

  Looking in oprofile log, I observed
	csum_partial_copy_generic()
is invoked for a 802.1Q VLAN device created on e1000,
This suggests checksum offloading is not in effect.
The offloading works fine when e1000 is used directly.
Attached one liner patch fixes this. But, it seems
too obvious to be a correct answer.

  My questions are,
o Is it right to expect checksum offloading should work
 on VLAN devices?
o If so, is there any mechanism to propagate
 real_dev->features flags in vlan.c?
o If such mechanism doesn't exist, is my patch reasonable?
.

  The machine arch is x86_64.  I got similar results
on an ancient 2.6.9 kernel and on the latest 2.6.25.

Thanks in advance,