Date:	Thu, 22 May 2008 21:05:47 +0200
From:	Matthias Cramer <matthias.cramer@...erway.ch>
To:	James Chapman <jchapman@...alix.com>
CC:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Wired behaviour with IPv6 over PPP

James Chapman wrote:
> Andrew Morton wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 May 2008 14:56:43 +0200 Matthias Cramer
>> <matthias.cramer@...erway.ch> wrote:
>>> I have a very wired behaviour when doing IPv6 over PPPoE.
>>>
>>> The situation:
>>>
>>> A linux box connected to a DSL Modem, on the other side is a Cisco
>>> LNS which terminates the PPP session (actually L2TP).
>>> I have control over both ends.
>>>
>>> When I have net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding set to 0 then the ppp
>>> Interface gets a IPv6 address from the Cisco via IP6CP.
>>> When I have net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding set to 1 them the ppp
>>> Interface does not get an address, it has only a normal link local
>>> address.
>
> What do you mean by normal link local address?

a fe80:: address, which every IPv6 enabled Interface has...

>>> When I start the ppp session with forwarding set to 0 I can ping out
>>> and there exists a default route to ppp0 , then I switch forwarding to 1
>>> the default route disappears and therefore routing does not work any
>>> longer.
>
> Did this work with previous kernel versions?

No, in my opinion it never worked. But I thought that pppd does it wrong
because id never got an IPv6 address. But I had always forwarding
enabled. Now in this case i started pppd without forwarding enabled and
got an address.

> Does pppd log any errors?

No, no errors

--
Matthias Cramer                System & Network Manager
Interway Communication GmbH    Phone +41 43 500 1111

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (325 bytes)