Date:	Fri, 23 May 2008 16:55:37 -0400
From:	Jon Masters <jonathan@...masters.org>
To:	Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@...ozas.de>
Cc:	Rick Jones <rick.jones2@...com>,
	"Kok, Auke" <auke-jan.h.kok@...el.com>, johnathan@...masters.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, dwmw2@...radead.org
Subject: Re: network interface *name* alias support?

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 22:46 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >> And if it happens to be in a hotplug slot today with a suitable hotplug
> >> module (term?) loaded like acpiphp you can then map that to a more human
> >> friendly slot number/name.  In the future, once Alex Chiang's pci slots
> >> patches make it to mainline it will be possible even with non-hotplug slots.
> >
> >Yep, that's all great until the bus topology changes underneath you.
> >There is a need for alias support, because it will allow distributions
> >to assign a name based upon the *slot ordering specified by the vendor*
> >and therefore allow a consistent slot number no matter what hotplug
> >happens, what devices are added or removed, which devices are on-board
> >vs. in cards, and even (eventually) for non-PCI cards.
> >
> >In the case of Fedora, right now, we have files:
> >
> >ifcfg-eth<whatever>
>
> While it's gone now, openSUSE had support for ifcfg-bus-pci-0000:00:19.0
> in versions prior to 10.3. I suggest you kindly ask they reinstate it
> because with Fedora it is probably not going to happen that they
> bus-pci-.. gets added in the first place.

Yes but *that isn't what I'm talking about* :)

That doesn't infer the physical ordering of the devices on the back of
the machine, does it? How do I know which device is labeled "0" on the
back of the machine, and in the vendor documentation? The answer is,
because they added a DMI extension to tell us this information. So let's
please stop thinking about physical bus ordering and instead view this
as a simple problem of wanting to add an alias based on what the vendor
reports should be the ordering of the devices in the system :)

Jon.