Date:	Sat, 24 May 2008 11:37:38 +0100
From:	James Chapman <jchapman@...alix.com>
To:	David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...radead.org>
CC:	Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch@...l.com>,
	Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@...ozas.de>,
	Jon Masters <jonathan@...masters.org>,
	Thomas Graf <tgraf@...g.ch>, Rick Jones <rick.jones2@...com>,
	"Kok, Auke" <auke-jan.h.kok@...el.com>, johnathan@...masters.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: network interface *name* alias support?

David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 10:15 +0100, James Chapman wrote:
>> Wouldn't it be better to fix any applications that can't handle
>> renamed devices?
>
> _Are_ there any such applications? Other than NetworkManager crapping
> itself when the device name is too long, I'm not aware of any.

I think pppd is one such app (multilink and radius features may break),
though this thread has only been concerned with eth devices so far. I'm
sure I used a command line tool recently that was checking device names
for eth%d patterns but I can't remember what it was now. :(

--
James Chapman
Katalix Systems Ltd