Date:	Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:46:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: private email...

People have been doing something over time that really bugs the crap
out of me.  So I'll state it publicly right now so that everyone knows
that it is not appropriate.

If you aren't getting the response you want here about a patch or bug
report you've posted, THE LAST THING you should do is send me a
private email.

If I had the time I would have looked at your stuff already, else it's
sitting deep in my inbox waiting for me to have the necessary time to
look into it.

If you email me privately, that's time taken unfairly away from me,
and that means it will take me longer to look at your stuff.  Private
email to me is detrimental, and will have the exact opposite effect of
what you're trying to accomplish.  When you email me privately, you
are rudely forcing me and only me to look at your problem, instead of
allowing the host of developers all over the world to possibly take
a look at it and therefore offload the work from me.

I cannot scale properly if people email me privately and don't work
things out on the mailing list.  So in this sense it is rude, it
is the wrong thing to do, and it is a poor use of global developer
resources.  So just don't do it.

These past few days I haven't processed anyone's patches or bug
reports, because I want to make some progress on the things I want to
work on.  And I make the most progress on such things when I do not
allow myself to be distracted by bug reports and patch review.

So nobody is being treated unfairly or different.

You just have to be patient.  If you think your posting was lost or
forgotten, send a ping here to the list, NOT to me privately.

I used to do the courtesy of sending a canned reply to private emails
at least letting them know that I will not read it and that they
should instead use the lists.  But I am not going to even do that any
more, it eats too much of my time and my time is valuable to me.