Date:	Tue, 5 Aug 2008 16:02:05 +0300
From:	Denys Fedoryshchenko <denys@...p.net.lb>
To:	Jarek Poplawski <jarkao2@...il.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: thousands of classes, e1000 TX unit hang

> Very interesting. Anyway tbf doesn't use gen estimators, so you could
> test if it makes big difference for you.
I can prepare provide details with graphs to private email and reasons why i
do that. With TBF i think i cannot use flow classifier, if i am not wrong, i
must attach classful disciplines. I tried to attach just pfifo - and i fail.

> Actually, gen_kill_estimator was rewritten already, but for some
> reason it wasn't merged. Maybe there isn't so much users with such a
> number of classes or they don't delete them, anyway this subject isn't
> reported often to the list (I remember once). Some workaround could be
> probably deleting individual classes (and filters) to give away a lock
> and soft interrupts for a while), before deleting the root, but I
> didn't test this. BTW, you are using quite long queues (3000), so there
> would be interesting to make them less and check if doesn't add to the
> problem (with retransmits).
>
> Jarek P.
Well i am first :-) Many people prefer buy Cisco and put static shaper on
their NAS for customer. With iproute2 it is possible to make MUCH better
feeling of using maximum bandwidth, and at same time not feeling it is
reached maximum. Since in some applications i have much more than amount of
flows SFQ can provide (and especially inefficient hashing it uses), i need
flow classifier and a lot of classes.

Many users on my experience dont know much about kernel maillist, and they
didn't got used to report about problems. Now i am collecting some feedbacks
from my friends and trying to reproduce and report here.