Date:	Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:03:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:	Krzysztof Oledzki <ole@....pl>
To:	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...tta.com>
cc:	Linux Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	Linux Networking <linux-net@...r.kernel.org>,
	Daniel J Blueman <daniel.blueman@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [sky2, solved] transmit timeouts and firmware update...

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Daniel J Blueman wrote:

> I (and a lot of other users) have been experiencing the frequent sky2
> transmit timeout problem [1] (on 88E8053/Yukon2 EC gig hardware); this
> is a result of the embedded NIC controller locking up, and I've found
> that updating the firmware addresses this issue. I'm still seeing a
> previous and different issue [2] from time to time though (silicon
> bug?).

Thanks for the info. I've been dealing with this problem for some long
time, hopefully sky driver from the latest kernels is able to recover
from such hangs, so it is not that critical problem now.

> Marvell shipping broken firmware is completely unpublicised or
> acknowledged, however updated firmware is available through your
> motherboard vendor, so all hope it not lost after all...

Unfortunately not through all vendors. :( Or maybe not *yet*?

> My 8053/EC is using firmware 2.2 (previously 1.9) - you can check in
> DOS with 'yukondg.exe' from
> http://www.marvell.com/drivers/files/yukondg_v6.53.4.3.zip .

Stephen, is it possible for sky2 driver to check and print the
firmware version?

Best regards,

 				Krzysztof Olędzki