Date:	Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:28:08 -0400
From:	Brian Haley <brian.haley@...com>
To:	David Stevens <dlstevens@...ibm.com>
CC:	Alex Sidorenko <alexandre.sidorenko@...com>,
	fubar@...ux.vnet.ibm.com, Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>,
	netdev-owner@...r.kernel.org,
	Vlad Yasevich <vladislav.yasevich@...com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] bonding: add better ipv6 failover support

David Stevens wrote:
> 1) You're calling mld_send_report() directly, which will send the MLD
>         report synchronously. It should use the randomized timer (see
> igmp6_join_group).
>         A mass failover (e.g., a power event in a cluster) would blast all
> of these at once,
>         which is why the randomized timer is required for gratuitous
> reports. This
>         should use a randomized timer, like mld_ifc_start_timer(), but
> joining the
>         group all by itself will do that.

Ok, I'll try and change this code to spin through all the multicast
addresses on the master and call igmp6_join_group() instead.

> 2) There is already a configurable and code for unsolicited neighbor
>         when adding an address-- why not use that? In fact, wouldn't just
> moving the
>         failing device's address list to the new device do everything you
> want, since
>         adding an address already sends unsolicited neighbor
> advertisements,
>         joins the solicited node address, etc.? Or am I missing something?

In this case the address is configured on the bond master, each slave is
just used for transmit/receive.  While I could have sent an unsolicited
NA, sending an NS is much easier, especially since it's only notifying
the switch that the address has moved.

> 3) MLD has a lot of state and it's all associated with the device.
> Changing the sending
>         device out from under it seems risky to me. I don't know enough
> about
>         bonding, but I think you really just want all the group
> memberships and
>         MLD state to be with the master device and the master should just
> go
>         through the multicast list for the master and join those groups on
> the
>         new slave. The MLD code will already resolve the filters
> appropriately
>         for joins and filters already done directly on the new slave that
> way.
>                 Actually, I thought that's what Jay's prior patch was all
> about, and
>         those joins should trigger MLD reports where needed, so I'm
> definitely
>         confused on what the problem with multicasts is beyond the
> solicited-node
>         addresses (which just needs to mimic the address add code, or use
> it
>         directly).

Like #1, I'll try changing the code.

Thanks for the comments.