Date:	Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:50:59 +0000
From:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
To:	Jan Evert van Grootheest <j.e.van.grootheest@...way.nl>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: broken rtl8139 and dropped frames decreasing?

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 09:13 +0100, Jan Evert van Grootheest wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got this old computer of a friend (to rescue files and put Ubuntu
> on it (-: ).
> And there's something strange going on in the network stack somewhere.
>
> I've booted it using an Ubuntu Hardy live CD (i.e. 2.6.24-something kernel).
> There's a rtl8139 card in it that uses the 8139too module. But something
> is not right with the hardware. Dmesg is full of reports with TX ring
> pointers when I plug the cable and try to ping something.
>
> The interesting thing is that 'ifconfig eth0' shows dropped RX packets.
> But each invocation shows one LESS dropped packet! It's never been above
> zero (that I have seen). The counter currently stands at 4294967260
> (i.e. -36).
[...]

That might indicate that the RxMissed register is not implemented on
this version of the chip.  That could result in the driver adding a
value of all-1s (effectively -1) to the rx_missed_errors statistic.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare Communications
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.