Date:	Thu, 30 Oct 2008 04:57:54 -0700
From:	"Ranjit Manomohan" <ranjitm@...gle.com>
To:	"Thomas Graf" <tgraf@...g.ch>
Cc:	"David Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: pkt_sched: Control group classifier

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 3:54 AM, Thomas Graf <tgraf@...g.ch> wrote:
> * David Miller <davem@...emloft.net> 2008-10-27 17:05
>> Sorry I had to revert this:
>>
>> 1) It can't work as a tristate option, the control group subsystem
>>    framework doesn't work with modular enables.
>
> Right, I'll fix this. Thank you.
>
>> 2) There was still a discussion going on about the hardirq/softirq
>>    tracing bits.  They seem unnecessary.
>
> I don't see how looking at the number of nested bh disable calls can
> be used to reliably determine if a code segment is run in softirq. The
> method fails if a dev_queue_xmit() caller running in softirq context
> doesn't disable bh explicitly but instead relies on the fact that bh
> must already have been disabled as per bh context definition.

I would like to request that the alternative for storing the class
identifier in the socket be reconsidered. It is a minor change and
would help the accounting system to be much more accurate since it
would cover these corner cases and accurately account for packets in
the interrupt context.

The complexity of migrating open sockets across cgroups can easily be
fixed if it is deemed to be a problem but is unlikely to be a big
issue for most workloads like browsers or web servers.

-Thanks,
Ranjit