Date:	Tue, 18 Nov 2008 09:50:17 +0100
From:	Giuseppe CAVALLARO <peppe.cavallaro@...com>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Cc:	giulio.benetti@...ronovasrl.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: macb phy address bug?

In my opinion, we need to rework this patch again for two reasons:
1) it doesn't cover the case when the PHYID is 0xffffffff.
2) we need to add an explicit comment on the PHYID check to highlight that
    this is a  work-around the broken hardware (in case we get 0xffff or
0x0).
I've also tested it on several PHY devices: e.g. smsc lan 8700, ste101p,
ste100p,
DP83865 National GPHY.
Where, for some of these, we need to treat the phyid=0 as wrong UID.
Please, review the attached patch.

Regards,
Peppe