Date:	Mon, 24 Nov 2008 22:01:50 -0800
From:	Harvey Harrison <harvey.harrison@...il.com>
To:	Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@...cle.com>
Cc:	Julius Volz <julius.volz@...il.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Is there any function similar to inet_ntoa() in Kernel or
 NetFilter ?

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 21:03 -0500, Chuck Lever wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2008, at Nov 21, 2008, 6:08 PM, Julius Volz wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Roar Bjørgum Rotvik <roarbr@...lde.org
> > > wrote:

> >> How about NIPQUAD and NIPQUAD_FMT (for IPv4):
> >> http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.27.6/include/linux/kernel.h#L324
> >> http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.27.6/include/linux/kernel.h#L319
> >
> > In the latest tree, there are now "%pI4" and "%pI6" format options
> > for printk.
> >
> > For example:
> >
> > printk(KERN_DEBUG "Address: %pI4\n", &v4_addr);
>
> I've been watching this with some interest.  Is this API stable now?
>
> Is there a way to pass a pointer to a sockaddr and get printk() to
> figure out whether it's is an AF_INET or AF_INET6 address, and display
> it appropriately?

Nope, they're fixed-format currently.  They are pretty simple format
specifiers at this point.  I'm not sure if adding more dynamic behavior
is a good idea.

> Does it handle IPv6 scope IDs correctly?

Define correctly? ;-)

> Does it convert IPv6 mapped IPv4 addresses to dotted quad automatically?

Nope.

Quick summary:
%pI4 prints 4 decimal separated decimal numbers

%pI6 prints 8 16-bit hex numbers colon-separated
%pi6 omits the colons.

Harvey