Date:	Thu, 27 Nov 2008 23:13:08 +0100
From:	Oliver Hartkopp <oliver@...tkopp.net>
To:	Octavian Purdila <opurdila@...acom.com>,
	Patrick Ohly <patrick.ohly@...el.com>
CC:	"netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: hardware time stamping with extra skb->hwtstamp

Octavian Purdila wrote:
> From: Patrick Ohly <patrick.ohly@...el.com>
> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:31:07 +0100
>

>> On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 14:02 +0000, Octavian Purdila wrote:
>>
>>> From: Patrick Ohly <patrick.ohly@...el.com>
>>> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:07:07 +0100

>>> [snip]

>>> I also vote for 3 (storing hw timestamps in the skb).

4 would be mine.

I assume, we would get kicked somewhere when we are trying to push
*another* 8 bytes into the skb by default ;-]

> How about this twist: we add a new option at the socket level, to get the
> whole skb->head - skb->end data into a user buffer. Then, we call an device
> ioctl and pass this buffer. The device will extract the hw timestamp and give
> it to the user.
>
> We might not need to get the whole skb->head - skb->end buffer, maybe just skb-
>
>> head - skb->mac if we know that skb->mac is sane at the socket level and we
>>
> use the convention that the device driver must put the timestamp below the mac
> header.
>
> One potential problem I see with this approach is leaking sensitive
> information into userspace, which means we will have to restrict this to
> privileged processes only.

Ugh.

Not every protocol that uses skbuffs, has a mac header (e.g. the CAN
protocol doesn't have mac addresses). This twist does not look very
maintainable to me ...

One additional question for Patrick:
As you wrote that your hw timestamp contained in the new skbuff-field is
already cocked ... is there any identifier that tells the userspace
application about the type of hw timestamp he gets (e.g. cocked, raw
registers, offset to whatever, etc.) ?

Regards,
Oliver